Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Guilty pleasures--keep me leaping

Okay, it's true.  I like Barry Manilow.  It was very snowy here today.  I was out shoveling my driveway with my IPod and Barry was crooning to me about the Copacabana.  It gets worse.  When this librarian was working at a medical library and going to library school, sometimes I would check out romance paperbacks.  The kind that have no redeeming value whatsoever.  I would sneak over to the circulation desk and watch that one of the sophisticated librarians whom I had come to respect was not there.  It seemed to me that if she found out about my guilty pleasure, she might never look at me in the same way again.

It's hard to bear this sort of cross.  One tries to go to meetings and be sophisticated while at the same time wanting to burst out in a chorus of "Mandy".  This reminds me of the time years ago when one of my superiors discovered that I was reading The Godfather by Mario Puzo.  He seemed so disappointed that I could stoop to such a low level. 

And while I'm at it, I might as well tell you that I love to read books about polygamous cults and that I am currently reading a book about Scientology. Polygamous cult books that I have enjoyed include Shattered Dreams: My Life As a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer and Escape  by Carolyn Jessop .  It gets worse:  I have very much enjoyed watching the HBO series Big Love.

Why on earth would the leaping libertine librarian tell you these shocking but true tales?  To free you up.  You see, you can let your hair down sometimes and have fun.  Read those trashy books.  Listen to Barry Manilow (or your secret musical pleasure...Abba anyone?)  It makes you happy.  You know it does!




No comments:

Post a Comment